Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm a follower

I can be a leader, if I want. And I don't really follow the crowd. I just don't like being in the front. I don't really enjoy being in the middle either. I would much rather be in the back. Back of the movie theater. Back of the bus. Back of the class. As I was driving to work, I thought of 3 instances that I am always in the back and very insistent that I am there.

1. When I'm driving. I drive 20 minutes to work and 20 minutes back every day. I see the freeway as kind of a race. Everyone is trying to beat the person next to them but trying not to get caught going too fast. I hate going slow, but I refuse to be the fastest person on the road. So I go the average speed of everyone on the road until someone passes me, then I immediately get behind them and go their speed. I follow them down the road. passing everyone. If the cops turn on their lights, it's for the guy in front of me, not me.

2. Disneyland. When we go to Disneyland, we take it seriously. We try to get as much fun packed into the day as we can. so we start in one "land" and work our way around, not skipping around and wasting time walking. My mom has always had the job of mapping it out. I used to walk up front with her, but then the kids would fall behind in their one slow speed. So then I took it upon myself to take over the back. In the back, i can push them along. I keep an eye on my mom so we don't get lost, but I pull up the rear, making sure no one gets left behind.

3. Skiing. As some of you know, I broke my leg skiing. I still enjoy going, but I don't go as fast as I used to, I am very cautious and I only really like to go once a year. When we do go, I insist on being the last one to go. I know i'm slower than everyone else, but if I go first, then I make them go slow and am afraid they will run me over. I also want to be able to help if anyone falls. This actually happened last year when we went. Adam fell and I was right there to help him and sit with him till ski-bulance came. But, as long as I can remember, I always make everyone else go before me.

yes, i may be weird, but... you love me....

3 comments:

Laura said...

I do the SAME thing on the freeway. I get so ticked when somebody comes between me and the person I'm following to. It's like "How rude! Don't you know we're travel buddies?"

Anonymous said...

It's true. I love you. So much it hurts.

Nick and Emily said...

i'm a follower too. and if i broke my leg skiing, i'd be a quiter too. so good for you. you at least still go.